06 March 2010

Rinse and Repeat (aka Rediscovering Seattle) - Toulouse Petit

This happy hour takes place during the hour of 420pm and 520pm. *insert tv show 24 clock ticking and theme music*


Looks can be deceiving.

You know what happens when people ASSUME? You make an ass out of you and everyone else who you can make believe that this is worth the breather you are allowed to take at the end of a long work week.

Sitting right next to one of my favorite haunts, Pesos Kitchen & Lounge, is this pretty package place called Toulouse Petit. For a little place that they would like people to call the "best happy hour in all of Seattle", I would rather have a case of the crabs than a case of the Syrah-Cab they served me.

Upon entrance, it is an open, airy, well lit floor level loft space : beautiful Spanish mosaic tile floors (rather misplaced for an establishment named after rue Toulouse in 'Nawlins, but beautiful all the same), wrought iron sconces and chandeliers, and walls lined with REAL and LIT tealights. I was impressed with the floor to ceiling greenhouse windows and blown glass *upside down tulip* hanging lumens. Aside from this, their saving grace was the lovely hostess who was genuinely happy we were there.

The service - less than exemplary. We waited 20 minutes to get served our drinks. Which is surprising because we were sat right next to the owner (Brian Hutmacher) and all he cared about was entertaining the bevy of beauties that only sidled up to him to get free drinks THEN summoning one of the aimlessly wandering waitgirls to attend to us. At this point, no one had my attention. I was ALREADY ready to go.

Also less than exemplary - the food. I ordered beef sliders and Sandor ordered the red beans and rice, both meant to share and sample. What I got was two shot sized burgers less noteworthy than a kindergartener could put together at McDonald's on a field trip day and red beans and rice that TRIED to be spicy (try white pepper and a little Cajun Spice next time, Chef Donnelly - it IS part and parcel of the 'Nawlins cuisine). Do also realize, these were the only two interesting things on the menu.

The only reason why I finished the one slider and my half of the red beans and rice was that I was working on a specific project all day, forgot to eat lunch, and needed the starch so my hypoglycemia wouldn't kick in and I started to shake like Katharine Hepburn in a helicopter.

The thing that brings a smile to my face about Toulouse Petit? I can only imagine that the owner, who should have bene out on the floor greeting customers and not trying to score for the evening, is that he is as sophomoric as I can be - and thinks that the "upside down tulip" lumens look like ... well ... you decide.

Because I am not entirely merciless ...

1 out of 4 stars.

Tip your watistaff - at another restaurant. They are there all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment